The names might make you think the Roborock S5 Max is the predecessor to the Roborock S6. But, in reality, it's the other way around. After launching the Roborock S6 in June 2019, Roboorck introduced the S5 Max in November 2019.
It's like Apple announcing the iPhone 13 Ultimate Edition after releasing the iPhone 14 line. We are not sure what made Roborock adopt such a bizarre marketing tactic, but we do know the differentiating factors in the Roborock S6 vs S5 Max debate.
The Roborock S6 makes sense for those customers who prioritize quieter operation. Since the S6 matches its premium counterparts in most aspects, it’s also the ideal pick for those who want to buy a robot vacuum on a budget.
The Roborock S5 Max is a bit pricier. Still, the extra price could be worth it if you want more water reservoir capacity, slightly better mopping functionalities, and more smart controls through the mobile app.
Roborock S6 or S5 Max, which one should you ultimately buy? No need to rush. Let’s discuss what these models have to offer more elaborately before reaching a decision.
Roborock S5 Max vs S6: Which One Is For Whom?
At first glance, it won’t be easy to point out the differences between the Roborock S6 and S5 Max. But, you can easily draw a line between these two models after analyzing their features and functionalities.
Buy the Roborock S6 If
✅ You are looking for an economy version.
✅ You want more accessories.
✅ You want a quieter mopping device.
Buy The Roborock S5 Max If
✅ You want to use a more up-to-date device.
✅ You want a bigger water tank.
✅ You want a superior mopping experience.
Roborock S6 vs S5 Max Head To Head Comparison
|Roborock S5 Max
|Water Flow Control
|Through Control Switch
|Maximum Suction Force
|Maximum Mopping Coverage
Roborock S5 Max vs S6: User Experience Overview
There’s no alternative to browsing through online reviews to get a better understanding of the product. We have scrutinized countless Roborock S6 and S5 Max reviews on the internet and attempted to construct some common user perceptions regarding these two items.
- People love how quietly this machine operates. Many users have cited the low-noise operation of this unit as the decisive factor in buying the Roborock S6.
- Reviewers have also loved the laser-based navigation system of this unit instead of cameras. The absence of cameras does not hamper navigation at all. On top of that, users say they got a better sense of privacy, knowing the device is not taking photos of their homes.
- Users have lauded the battery life of this device, which can last 150/180 minutes.
- However, many users were left unimpressed with Roborock S6’s poor carpet cleaning performance.
Roborock S5 Max
- The Roborock S5 Max has drawn rave reviews from its users for some of the same features that made the Roborock S6 a hit. Battery life, app connectivity, smooth navigation, and ease of control-both Roborock S6 and S5 Max have impressed their users with these functionalities.
- Many users appreciated the larger water tank size of the Roboorck S5 Max, which saved them from the hassle of frequent refueling.
- Users also loved the option to regulate the water flow through the app. The S6 app lacks this functionality, so you need to do it manually if you are an S6 user.
- The S5 Max shows the same level of vulnerability as the S6 when it comes to cleaning carpets. Some reviewers have found the device quite ineffective in thick carpets and isolated this attribute as the biggest letdown of the product.
Similarities Between The Roborock S5 Max And S6
Adaptive Route Planning
Both the Roborock S5 Max and S6 offer adaptive route planning. That means you can program the device and set the sequence in which it will clean the rooms in your house. If you want it to skip certain areas, you can do that too.
Voice Command Compatibility
The Roborock S6 and S5 Max have voice command support. Therefore, you can access most of the features without having to walk to the devices. The level of responsiveness is the same in these two models.
Simultaneous Sweeping And Mopping Across All Floors
You can get the Roborock S6 and S5 Max to sweep and mop at the same time. So, you can rely on both of these machines if you need a heavy-duty cleaning of the floor. They are also compatible across all floor types.
5200mAh lithium-ion batteries fuel both of these machines. The battery runtime is the same as well, which is mostly 150 minutes. But, in certain cases, you can drag it to 180 minutes. You can charge the battery from zero to full in five hours.
Whether you are using a Roborock S5 Max or S6, you will have access to five different modes. They are:
- Quiet: Operates at the minimum noise level. You can’t expect maximum output in this mode.
- Mopping: Another low-intensity setting that has minimal power requirements. You can use this while mopping the floor.
- Balanced: The balanced mode tries to get the best out of the machine without putting too much strain on the battery. This would be a better option when you are cleaning trickier surfaces like hardwood.
- Turbo: After activating turbo mode, the vacuum will have an increased airflow. So, it will clean faster than before. However, it will also drain the battery faster.
- Max: The robot vacuum will operate at its maximum capacity when you switch on the max mode. Don’t expect the battery to last long at max mode, but it could be a compromise worth making if you are cleaning challenging surfaces like a carpet.
Actually, there are some differences in design between these two models, but they are so subtle that it’s difficult to tell them apart. The designs are mostly identical. After close examination, you will find out that the Roborock S6 has three buttons on top of its ABS plastic exterior.
In the newer S5 Max, Roborock has reduced the number of buttons to two. S5 Max also has a soft bumper, unlike the S6.
No Go Mop Zones
Roborock had disposed of the No Go Mop Zone in the S6 Pure, but the company soon realized its importance and brought it back. You will get No Go Mop Zones in both the S5 Max and S6. So, if you want to restrict one part of your house from the devices, you can easily do that.
Roborock S6 vs S5 Max: Differences
Roborock S6 and S5 Max generate the same level of suction power and exhibit similar strengths and weaknesses across cleaning surfaces. For example, you will find these machines cleaning with equal efficiency on laminated floors and struggling through high-pile carpets. But, the S5 Max has an edge when it comes to mopping.
The Roborock S5 Max can cover an area of 200 square meters while mopping. It’s double the capacity of Roborock S6. It also features a larger water tank (300ml), which is nearly double the S6’s water storage (160ml). You can also regulate the water flow more precisely via the app. It’s possible to set the water flow for cleaning different rooms if you are an S5 Max user.
The Roborock S5 Max has a softer bumper design to lower the noise level, but it still can’t match the S6’s quiet mode sound emission. The S5 Max makes at least 60 decibels of noise, while the S6 can operate at 50 decibels.
Roborock S6 vs S6 Pure: Common Pros & Cons
What we liked
What we didn't like
Roborock S5 Max: Pros & Cons
Roborock S5 Max Pros
Roborock S5 Max Cons
Roborock S6: Pros & Cons
Roborock S6 Pros
Roborock S6 Cons
Roborock S5 Max vs S6: Price Quality Ratio
Roborock S5 Max warrants a higher price tag than the S6. The S6 shares many attributes with S5 Max and is a very good robot vacuum model on its own. But, does it present a better value for money?
In our book, it doesn't. The S5 Max's carpet sensitivity mode and better mopping abilities make it worthy of a higher price tag. You will be getting a substantial upgrade for the extra money you are paying.
The Roborock S5 Max and S6 are two of the highest selling robot vacuum models Roborock has ever produced. You can't go wrong buying either of them, but if you ask us to pick a winner in the Roborock S5 Max vs S6 debate, the Roborock S6 will get our vote. Why? Because it comes with some excellent features that can truly make a difference.